Tuesday, February 1, 2011

sweet and spicy asian pork shoulder




I saw this recipe in my Real Simple magazine but it wasn't until my friend Annie recommended it that I decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did because it's one of my favorites. It's SOOO good! When I mentioned this recipe to my neighbor friend Shannon it turned out she had tried it and loved it too. My husband declared this recipe is Hall Of Fame!

sweet and spicy asian pork shoulder (Real Simple Magazine, February 2010)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar (I used 2 tablespoons and it was perfect for my taste)
1-2 tablespoons chili-garlic sauce
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder (I used 1 teaspoon garam masala)
kosher salt and pepper
2 1/2 pounds pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 cup long-grain white rice
1 medium head bok choy thinly sliced (about 8 cups)
2 scallions, sliced

In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the soy sauce, sugar, chili-garlic sauce, ginger, five-spice powder (if using), 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add the pork and toss to coat. Cook, covered until the pork is tender, on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours. Twenty-five minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions. Meanwhile, skim off and discard any fat from the pork. Gently fold the bok choy into the pork and cook, covered, until heated through, 2 to 4 minutes. Serve with the rice and sprinkle with the scallions.

Note:  I used baby bok choy and Asian broccoli the last time I made it (1/23/24) and it was tasty!






3 comments:

  1. I have this recipe too and made it for my mom while she was visiting. She said it was the BEST dish I have ever made! Shannon Burnett

    ReplyDelete
  2. After last night's dinner, I too, am wondering if this is the best dish I have ever made! Thank you for all the great recipe magazines you send my way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, you've convinced me to try this one! Thanks for posting. I'll let you know how mine turns out. -Laura H.

    ReplyDelete