Saturday, February 5, 2011

hot and sour chicken soup










5 stars! Two thumbs up! Bravo! Delicioso! When it was done cooking the kiddos were occupied so we didn't tell them it was time for dinner and ate it ourselves, just the two of us.

hot and sour chicken soup
(Healthy Meals Cookbook, Borders Exclusive)
3 teaspoons peanut oil or cooking oil
4 ounces sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons white vinegar or rice vinegar
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper or 1 teaspoon chili oil (I used chili garlic sauce)
2 cups packaged shredded cabbage with carrot (cole slaw mix) or shredded Chinese cabbage
1 cup shredded cooked chicken (I used two cups)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

In a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and garlic. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in broth, vinegar, soy sauce, and red pepper or chili oil; bring to boiling. Stir in cole slaw mix or cabbage and cooked chicken; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
Combine water (a few tablespoons) and cornstarch, stirring until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to boiling. Cook about 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in sesame oil. Makes 4 servings.

What I have to say- the chicken I used was moist and delicious. I threw a few chicken breasts in the slow cooker a day or two ago with 1/2 cup chicken broth for a few hours on high. I shredded it then put it in an airtight container with the broth it cooked in until I was ready to throw it in the soup.


3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to make this one! Hot and sour soup is my absolute favorite. I must have it every time we order Chinese food. Thanks for finding and sharing this recipe! -Laura H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. REALLY good! I added extra rice vinegar to get a more "sour" flavor. Next time I think I'll add tofu, too. Thanks for the recipe! -Laura

    ReplyDelete