Friday, February 18, 2011

chicken tikka masala









 

Trust me, you will love this dish. When my cousin and I both lived in St. Louis she invited us to dinner and served this recipe with fresh naan bread. I thought for sure I had died and gone to heaven. It's hard for a girl like me to choose favorites when it comes to recipes and/or cousins but I think I found my favorites. I believe she told me her sister got the recipe at an Indian restaurant in or around Provo, Utah. HALL OF FAME!!!!!
 
chicken tikka masala
(my dear, talented cousin Emily)
1 cup yogurt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon salt
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
4 long skewers
1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice and 2 teaspoons cumin, cinnamon, cayenno, black pepper, ginger and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir in chicken, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Preheat grill. Lightly oil the grill grate. Thread chicken onto skewers and discard marinade. Grill until juices run clear, about 5 minutes on each side.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic and jalapeno for 1 minute. Season with 2 teaspoons cumin, paprika and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir in tomato sauce and cream. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Add grilled chicken and simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve with naan bread.

What I have to say- I always double or triple this recipe because it's just too good not to. Tonight I doubled all of the ingredients except for the jalapeno and cream and it turned out great.

4 comments:

  1. WE LOVE this recipe. I was lucky enough to get it from you in St. Louis too and we all love it! I do use half and half instead of the heavy cream, still tastes as good to us, but cuts the calories down a smidge. I also leave out the jalapeno because of "too spicy" comments from the kids and always top it off with cilantro...my mouth is watering thinking about it, I may need to make it again this week sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!!!! I loved this dish! We had it for dinner tonight. I pan-cooked the chicken because I didn't feel like dragging out the grill. I'll definitely make this one again and try grilling it too! Thanks for this delicious recipe. -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. HANDS DOWN THE BEST MEAL EVER!!! THANK YOU, TOHANK YOU THANK YOU! EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT...THE CHICKEN, THE BREAD THE ASIAN SLAW. lIKE I SAID EARLIER MY HUSBAND AND I ATE DINNER EXTRA EARKY THE NEXT DAY JUST TO SAVOR THE LEFTOVER.
    YOU ARE TOO GOOD TO US CAMIE AND I AM PRETTY SURE THAT THE BOYS DID SLEEP EXTRA THAT NIGHT. (CAN U TELL I AM HOLDING ONE NOW BY THE CAPS AND MISPELLED WORDS?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Camie! I found it! Thanks for having us over to try it-It was fabulous and I can't wait to try it out myself. and thanks for emailing me so quickly I am surely going to use your blog as a resource.
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete