Sunday, February 6, 2011

blueberry jam













Last 4th of July my friend Suzette picked up a 15-pound box of the finest blueberries you've ever tasted. They were plump and oh so delicious. We ate as many as we could fresh, make cobblers and breads. We even froze some but we still had enough to make jam. I'd never made jam blueberry jam before. It's great so here's the recipe:

blueberry jam (inside the package of Ball Original Fruit Pectin)
4 cups crushed blueberries, about 2 1/2 pounds or 6 (6 ounce) containers
2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 cups sugar
1 package of Ball fruit pectin

Use a potato masher to crush blueberries.
Prepare canning supplies before you begin. Measure ingredients.
In a large pot combine blueberries with lemon juice. Gradually stir in fruit pectin. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly.
Add entire measure of sugar, stirring to dissolve. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary.
Preserve using your method of choice. Makes 6 jars (8 ounces each).

1 comment:

  1. When I found out we were moving, it wasn't long after I'd gotten my 20 lbs. I was so in love with them, I lie in bed at night thinking of how I was going to get those berries the next summer. I picked my own last summer, but they were NOTHING like those berries. Mmmm. And my obsessing begins again.

    ReplyDelete