Wednesday, February 23, 2011

chicken stew with coconut milk










This is a mild flavored, comforting and delicious stew. I didn't know until I tried this stew that I could enjoy lima beans so much! My kids opted to grab an apple from the center of the table and eat apples for dinner. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. I'm okay with that. More leftovers for me.

chicken stew with coconut milk (adapted from allrecipes.com)
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized chunks
1 medium yellow onion, chopped or sliced
1 cup peeled potatoes, cut in 1-inch chunks
1 cup halved baby carrots
1 (9 ounce) package frozen baby lima beans (or you can use chickpeas if you prefer)
1/2 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 cup light canned coconut milk
1 cup fat free chicken broth
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon curry powder
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce or to taste
parsley or cilantro for garnish

Put all ingredients in a pot on the stove with a tight fitting lid and cook on medium-high for 30-40 minutes.

What I have to say- I like to turn up the heat so I like to put lots of garlic chili sauce on my serving. If your nose hasn't started running by the 4th bite you haven't put enough in it. Add some more...really clear out those sinuses!

1 comment:

  1. The house smells soooo good with this stew on the stove, and I love that it's a "throw it all in" recipe. Can't wait to eat it with some garlic bread (too bad I didn't plan ahead and make some naan!)

    ReplyDelete