Saturday, February 19, 2011

slow-cooker chicken posole









 

This is a great soup. Really great. It's remarkably flavorful with the perfect amount of spice and the chicken is always very tender.

slow-cooker chicken posole (Women's Day Magazine, March 2009)
1 can (15 ounces) yellow or white hominy, drained (I used sweet frozen corn)
1 can (14.5 ounces) Mexican-style diced tomatoes
1 can mild green enchilada sauce (I use the big can)
2 carrots, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons cumin
5 chicken thighs (1 1/2 pounds), skin removed (I like to use boneless, skinless)
chopped cilantro
tortilla chips, optional

Combine hominy, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, carrots, onion, garlic and cumin in a 4-quart slow cooker. Add chicken and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high 3 to 3 1/2 hours until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender. Skim and discard any fat from the surface. Remove chicken; pull meat off bones into large shreds. Stir back into slow cooker. Stir in cilantro, if using. Serve with lime wedges and tortilla chips.

What I have to say- sometimes I like to throw in some raw brown rice before I start cooking the soup. I wish I had remembered when I made it earlier today. Oh, it was too spicy for the kiddos.






No comments:

Post a Comment