Friday, April 29, 2011

slow-cooker texas chili









This is hands down the best chili ever. Hall of Fame. This chili is bold, rich and full of flavor. The meat is sooo tender. When I eat chili I don't want chili con carne. I want chile carne!
My husband is not a fan of chili but he likes this- hardly your standard chili.

slow-cooker texas chili (Food Network Magazine, September 2010)
2 1/2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 2-inch cubes
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
kosher salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, smashed
2 (4.5 ounce) cans chopped green chiles, drained
1 tablespoon ground cumin
3/4 cup chili powder (I always use 1/2 cup)
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with chiles
sliced scallions, fresh cilantro and/or sour cream for topping

Toss the beef with 1 tablespoon each brown sugar and salt in a large bowl. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the beef in batches until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onion to the skillet and cook until soft. Stir in the garlic, chiles, cumin and chili powder and cook 3 minutes. Transfer to the slow cooker then add the diced tomatoes. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours. Add the remaining brown sugar and serve with scallions, cilantro and/or sour cream for topping and chips if desired.

What I have to say- this isn't a chili you can just sit and eat a whole bowl of. It's very rich so I like to serve it over rice and of course with the toppings mentioned above. Or serve it Chile Colorado Burrito style in a tortilla with its thickened juices (add some Wondra to make it a gravy) over the top. Splendid!

3 comments:

  1. Made this for dinner tonight and it was soo yummy. I really liked it over the rice with lettuce, a little sour cream, and a little cheese on top. mmmmm The best part is that it's so easy. I put it int he crockpot early this morning and then took the kids for a day out in the city. When we came home, dinner was done, we ate, and rushed off to the boys' baseball games . . . with happy, full bellies.

    Thanks for another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous recipe. Thanks for the notes about serving on rice (we served on pasta) and for cutting back a bit on the chili powder. It was just the right spacy at 1/2 cup (that's all I had anyway!). Emily had more than I expected considering it's on the spicy-side. I made it with a bottom round roast...yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ..just the right amount of spicy, is what I meant!!

    ReplyDelete