Friday, April 15, 2011

better-than-papa-john's pizza









 

This pizza really does taste like Papa John's. We love it. I was in the mood for olive and shrimp pizza like I had once when I was babysitting when I was about 14 years old but I forgot the olives and shrimp and I do not go to the grocery store twice so I settled for extra cheese and mushroom pizza...a great way to have a whole pizza to myself. My kids had pepperoni pizza, of course. They all asked for seconds, even Loui (neighbor friend) who never asks for seconds.
I saw something today at Delightful Bitefuls that made me smile. A poster that reads, "You can't buy happiness BUT you can buy ice cream. And that's kind of the same thing."

better-than-papa-john's pizza (cookbook: Carondelet Ward Relief Society, 2004)
1 tablespoon yeast
1 cup warm water
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons salad oil
2 1/2 cups flour

sauce (makes enough for 2 pizzas whereas the crust recipe makes 1)
12 ounces tomato paste
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup oil
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon basil
2 minced garlic cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Mix together sugar, salt and flour. Add yeast and oil. Mix well. Knead for a few minutes, then cover and set aside. Mix all sauce ingredients together. Grate cheese and prepare other toppings. Grease a large pizza pan. Place dough on pan. Pat and stretch over the edge of the pan. Let rise a few minutes. Spread sauce on dough, then cover with toppings. Bake 20 minutes at 425 or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling.
Stuffed crust variation: Slice 6 string cheese sticks into 6 slices each. Roll up edge of dough with string cheese and seal tightly before letting the dough rise.

What I have to say- I love this pizza dough; it's so easy to work with. I did not need any additional flour to roll the dough out on the counter top which was a first! I made a white crust for the kids and a 100% whole wheat crust for myself. For the whole wheat I used 2 cups flour instead of 2 1/2. If you're not a fan of whole wheat or not a die hard health nut, stick with the white crust! I still prefer the whole wheat. I just feel healthier when I eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment