Sunday, April 3, 2011

chicken tortilla casserole









This recipe was by far my favorite everyday recipe when I was growing up (I think I'm still growing up). When I knew this casserole was for dinner I couldn't wait! As a grown-up, when my mom would visit me after the birth of each child, she would always make this for our family. This is comfort food at it's best!

chicken tortilla casserole (my mom)
4 whole chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 dozen corn tortillas
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup milk
1 onion, grated
1 can green chiles
1 cup sour cream (this is something I always add but isn't in the original recipe)
1 pound grated cheddar cheese

Cut tortilla strips. Mix soups, milk, onion, chiles and sour cream. Butter a shallow 9x12x2 baking dish. Pour half cup of broth into bottom of dish. Arrange in layers: 1/2 tortilla strips, 1/2 chicken pieces, 1/2 sauce, 1/2 cheese. Repeat layers. Refrigerate 8 hours or more. Bake at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.

What I have to say- My mom always cooked her chicken in a pressure cooker but I cooked my chicken breasts in a slow cooker over night on low with 1/2 cup of chicken broth. It is always very tender. Assemble the casserole in the morning then bake it for dinner!

1 comment:

  1. Have a very similar recipe that has become one of our family's favorite comfort foods! Excited to try your recipe! We also add sliced black olives to ours! Yum!

    ReplyDelete