Tuesday, April 5, 2011

cream of fresh carrot soup









This is a really nice soup. It's smooth, peppery and sweet. A couple months after my husband and I met he invited me to his home in Southern California for Thanksgiving. We arrived very late that night (I think it had to do with having to spend some time smooching at every stop sign once we entered his home town). Now I've lost my train of thought. Anyway, his mother served this the next evening before driving to Utah to spend Thanksgiving day with his sister and her family.

cream of fresh carrot soup (my mother-in-law Anne in CA)
1 pound fresh carrots
2 tablespoons chopped onion
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup water
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
In a double boiler:
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons flour
3 cups milk

Wash carrots, scrape and slice thinly. Prepare about 3 cups carrots. In a small saucepan combine carrots, onion, butter, salt, sugar, pepper. Cover and cook over low heat until carrots are tender, 20-30 minutes. Mash carrot mixture (or put in blender). In top of double broiler melt 2 tablespoons butter, blend in flour, cook and stir about 5 minutes. Add milk, continue cooking and stirring about 5 minutes. Add carrot mixture to milk mixture. Cook covered over hot water 30 minutes. Stir often. Stir in lemon juice. Garnish with chopped parsley.

What I have to say- I garnished mine with a little bacon tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment