Thursday, April 21, 2011

chicken and ham barley soup









Not sure what to do with your leftover ham bone after Easter dinner? This is the perfect recipe. I know it looks too simple to be good but trust me, this soup is really good. I had to make myself a grilled cheese sandwich to go with it!

chicken and ham barley soup (not sure of it's origin, from my cookbook obsessed days in St. Louis)
2 chicken breasts, diced
1 ham bone with leftover ham
2 quarts water
1 1/2 cups diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup instant barley
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 teaspoon salt, optional
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried sage

In a large kettle, cook chicken in water until tender. Add ham bone and ham. Add remaining ingredients and simmer covered, for at least one hour or until vegetables and barley are tender.

What I have to say- to get more veggies into our meal, I also throw in half a package of frozen cut green beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment