Tuesday, April 5, 2011

kaluha pork









My friend Mandy this pork as part of a frozen meal swap a few years ago. I loved it so much that I've made several big batches since then and have frozen baggies full of it for sandwiches, enchiladas or burritos. I made it for my meal swap tonight and served with an oriental cabbage salad and steamed rice.

kaluha pork (my friend Mandy)
8-9 pound pork loin (typically costs about $40 so wait until you can get it on sale for around $20!)
kosher salt
liquid smoke
banana leaves or plastic wrap
aluminum foil

Rub the pork loin with kosher salt and sprinkle with liquid smoke. If you have banana leaves available, wrap them with the leaves. Otherwise, plastic wrap works okay. After wrapping in plastic wrap or leaves, wrap with aluminum foil. Place in 9x13 cake pan or broiling pan (it takes two if you are working with 8-9 pounds of meat) and bake at 200 degrees overnight (10-12 hours). Take out of oven and shred the pork- do not discard the liquid. Enjoy! You can serve this on tortillas or buns or with an Asian salad. Mandy's favorite is on buns with a slice of cheese and a little BBQ sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment