Sunday, April 17, 2011

monster marshmallow cookies









When I saw the list of ingredients I couldn't resist. Cookies full of crispy rice cereal, oats, chocolate, pecans and marshmallows then topped with more chocolate, marshmallows and pecans? These monsters are incredible! 
As I was watching these monsters bake I said, "I'm not the best cookie baker. I hope these work." My youngest daughter said "You are the best cookie baker, Mom." She gets an extra cookie for that.

monster marshmallow cookies (Food Network Magazine, April 2011)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 3/4 cups crispy rice cereal
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1 cup miniature marshmallows

for the topping
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup mini marshmallows
2 1/2 teaspoons half-and-half
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/3 cup finely chopped pecans

Make the cookies: Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the butter and both sugars with a mixer of medium-high speed until fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time on medium speed, then beat in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until combined.
Stir the oats, cereal, chocolate chips, pecans and marshmallows into the dough with a wooden spoon. Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, about 3 inches apart. Bake the cookies in batches until golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool.
Make the topping: Combine the chocolate chips, marshmallows, half and half and cayenne pepper in a saucepan over medium heat; cook, stirring, until the mixture is smooth, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the pecans. Drizzle the mixture over the cookies and let set, about 4 hours. Makes 4 dozen.

What I have to say- You're going to want to double the chocolate topping.

5 comments:

  1. I too wonder why you think you weren't much of a cookie baker! I love the texture of these cookies....crunchy without being dry (just the right amount of crumble..not 'fall apart' crumbling, just great texture). Many may think I'm crazy, but I think these would be great even without the chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing!! I loved them! I'm so sad you won't be around next December for the cookie swap. :( -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. WE LOVE cookies at our house and these look soo yummy! I'm definitely trying these cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deeeelicious! Definitely a keeper. Very different than a regular choc chip cookie or an oatmeal cookie! Loved the crunchiness and the extra softness of the pecans. Most of the time I double (or almost double) the amount of chocolate chips. I think I might try that and omit the topping. What do you think Camie?

    Morgane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morgane- I might omit the topping too. It would certainly save time and effort!

    ReplyDelete