Thursday, May 26, 2011

emeril's kicked up tuna sandwiches









These are the sandwiches I made for Melissa's shower. I don't know why I get embarrassed to admit this but I love tuna! I was happy to see my kids grab several of these and enjoy them as much as I do (they take after me and not their father in this respect). I've tried a lot of tuna recipes and this is by far my favorite.

emeril's kicked up tuna (Everyday Food Magazine, May 2010)
4 cans (5 ounces each) solid white albacore tuna pcked in water, drained
1/3 cup light mayonnaise, plus more for spreading
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
4 teaspoons capers, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
crusty bread

In a medium bowl, combine tuna, mayo, onion, capers, lemon juice, salt, pepper and oregano and stir until thoroughly combined. Slice crusty bread and put a spoonful on top of each slice.
The original recipe called for tuna melts. For a tuna melt, heat broiler with rack in highest position. Divide tuna salad evenly among 4 crusty slices of read then top each with 2 slices tomato and 1 slice provolone cheese. Broil until cheese is golden brown and bubbling, 3-4 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I love tuna sandwiches, and this kicked up version sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sent this out in your emails awhile ago and it's been my FAVORITE way to eat tuna! In fact we made them for lunch yesterday when we got home from church. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete