Saturday, May 21, 2011

chap chee noodles









Hall of Fame. Always has been and always will be. My husband sat down and said, "Alright! My favorite." My kids counted how many servings I dished up (I was out of my chair more than I was in it). I've recommended this recipe to friends and the reports have always been stellar. We like to put lots of garlic chile sauce on our noodles, so much so that the four oldest in the family sniffle our way through dinner. Excellent way to clear your sinuses.

chap chee noodles (allrecipes.com)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 green onions, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 pound beef top sirloin, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
1/2 cup sliced bamboo shoots, drained
1/4 pound napa cabbage, sliced
2 cups chopped fresh spinach
3 ounces cellophane noodles, soaked in warm water
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

In a large bowl, combine 1 tablespoon soy sauce, sesame oil, green onions, garlic, sesame seeds, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon pepper (since I usually triple the meat, I triple these ingredients as well). Stir in sliced beef, and marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes. Heat wok or large skillet over medium-high heat, then drizzle with oil. Cook beef until evenly brown. Stir in carrots, bamboo shoots, napa cabbage and spinach. Add cellophane noodles, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Reduce heat to medium and cook until heated through.

3 comments:

  1. I remember that this was one of the first recipes of yours that I tried, and it seemed so complicated to me at the time. I can't wait to make it again tonight; I am much less intimated by cooking now thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sweet, thank you! One of my kids was going through my blog the other day and came across this recipe and had very fond memories of eating chap chee noodles (one of her favorite recipes) so I think I'm going to have to make them again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a few substitutions based on what we had and it was outstanding. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete