Monday, May 2, 2011

banana bars with cinnamon cream cheese frosting









These caught my fancy and I thought they would be fun to share as part of my meal swap tonight since the recipe makes a big sheet full. These are delicious and what a great cream cheese frosting! I'm going to try it over carrot cake sometime. Or apple cake. Mmmm....

banana bars with cinnamon cream cheese frosting (blog: The Boys Made Me Do It)
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups rip bananas, mashed (about 3 medium)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars together. Beat in eggs, bananas and vanilla. Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture to butter and sugar mixture and mix well. Pour into a greased 15x10x1 (jelly roll pan). Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until bars test done. Cool. Frost with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting.

cinnamon cream cheese frosting
8 ounces cream cheese
1 stick butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 teaspoons milk
2 teaspoons cinnamon
16 ounces powdered sugar

Beat together the cream cheese and butter until well mixed. Add in powdered sugar, milk, cinnamon and vanilla. Beat together until incorporated. Spread over cooled banana bars. Makes 48 bars.

What I have to say- I really need new baking sheets. The bars around the edges burned and I know it's my pans. Annie, could you please tell my husband I need new baking sheets? The last time you mentioned we could use some new knives, I had new knives on the next gift-giving holiday. Thanks. Oh, and can you please research the best to buy because we both know he's going to ask you. (The baking sheets I currently use are from my mom that I'm sure she got as wedding gifts in the early 70's.)

2 comments:

  1. May the gods smile upon you and grant you friends as bratty as I am in Oregon. Think of all the new kitchen appliances you'll get. And all the crazy sweaters and stretched out 100% cotton t-shirts you'll get rid of. Wink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The frosting on these bars reminds of me of one of my favorite indulgences at Starbucks (that I haven't had for years)...their maple nut oat scone with just a drizzle (not enough!) of the maple on top. Although these aren't maple, it tasted like it to me, and I got my fill!

    ReplyDelete