Friday, January 28, 2011

roasted carrots and potatoes with dill









I made these roasted carrots and potatoes dill (with some bell peppers and onions thrown in) to go with the French Dip Sandwiches for my meal swap tonight. I love cooking for friends. I always have. It's such a simple way to make people happy and the process is really fun. Maybe that's why I wanted to be a chef. I majored in catering for a couple of years but it just wasn't the best fit. I prefer a more relaxed atmosphere. Is teaching kindergarten more relaxed? I loved it. I always thought running a bed and breakfast would be fun but now that I run a family I figure I'm doing what I've always wanted to do. I can't say the atmosphere is always relaxed but I love my customers.

roasted carrots and potatoes with dill (Everyday Food, Martha Stewart, Nov 2010)
1 pound carrots, halved lengthwise if large and crosswise if long
1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes, halved or quartered
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
course salt and ground pepper (I used 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh dill (I used 1/2 teaspoon dried since my her garden is snowed over)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees with rack in lower third. On a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper, toss carrots and red potatoes with 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (I threw in some bell peppers and onions too); season with coarse salt and ground pepper. Arrange in a single layer and cook until vegetables are browned in spots and tender when pierced with a knife, 40 minutes, tossing halfway through. Toss with fresh lemon juice and dill. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment