Thursday, January 20, 2011

homemade pizza











This was a yummy pizza.  I liked using sliced cheese versus shredded.

home based mom’s pizza (Leigh Anne Wilkes’s blog: Home Based Mom)
Pizza Crust
Preheat oven and pizza stone to 450 degrees.
1 cup warm water
3 teaspoons yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
Combine yeast and sugar with warm water and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes until bubbly. Makes 1 crust.

Add to yeast mixture:
2 cups bread flour (she says you can use regular flour)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon olive oil

Combine wet ingredients in dry ingredients into mixer and knead for 5 minutes until dough is smooth, will be a little sticky (mine was really sticky but I just added more flour after I allowed it to rise). Allow to rise for at least one hour.
Gather desired pizza toppings: sauce (see below), pepperoni, black olives, mozzarella cheese (she slices hers), Parmesan cheese, etc.
Cover pizza paddle or backside of a cookie sheet with a light layer of cornmeal. Roll out dough (may need to add a little extra flour). Add a layer of sauce, desired toppings and then cheese. Add a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese at the end.
Slide pizza from paddle or cookie sheet into oven onto the hot pizza stone. (I used a pizza pan)
Cook in oven preheated to 450 degrees for about 10-12 minutes until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned and edges of crust are golden brown.

Pizza Sauce
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp garlic, minced
1 (26 oz) can crushed tomatoes
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning

Heat oil and garlic and cook until garlic is sizzling, about 2 minutes. Add in tomatoes, sugar, seasoning and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes. I thought it made enough for two pizzas.

What I have to say- two thumbs up! This was the first time I sliced the mozzarella and I must admit there’s a difference. This was also the first time I put the toppings under the cheese which my 3-year old found upsetting. Isn’t everything upsetting at that age?!

2 comments:

  1. I have lots of favorite pizza memories too! Yum. Looks so good. That fresh mozzarella is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all your great recipes!

    ReplyDelete