Monday, January 24, 2011

5-minute hummus









In need of an afternoon snack? Well, here's an idea- 5 minute hummus. I can't believe I had never tried to make hummus until last spring. It's incredibly inexpensive to make and tastes as good or better than any store bought brand.

5-minute hummus (Real Simple Magazine, May 2010)
1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons tahini (optional)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika

In a food processor or blender, puree the chickpeas and garlic with the olive oil, lemon juice, tahini, cumin and 3/4 teaspoon salt until smooth and creamy. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons water as necessary to achieve the desired consistency. Transfer to a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the paprika before serving.

What I have to say- be careful! The first time I made this, my blender (Vita-mix) ate the wooden spoon I used to stir it up as it blended. I was more disappointed about having to put off sampling the hummus than my broken spoon.





1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed this recipe a number of times and keep forgetting to mention: I like using some of the liquid from the can as a substitute for the water, and also like adding a bit of heat with cayenne pepper. But this is by far the easiest and best hummus recipe I've made

    ReplyDelete