Monday, January 17, 2011

pasta fazioli soup









I fell in love with this soup from the moment I first tried it at least 5 years ago. it is my go-to soup. My kids eat bowl after bowl after bowl as do I. You can follow the recipe or you can change it up and it's great every time. I often times add more vegetables or use sausage instead of ground beef. For a luncheon I went to today I substituted green beans for the kidney beans. When I want a good cioppino recipe I replace the beef and beans with shrimp, fish, crab, scallops and mussels.  Fabulous!


olive garden pasta fazioli soup (my friend Lindsay P. from my days in St. Louis)
1 pound extra lean ground beef
1 large onion, diced
2 carrots, shredded
1 (30 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans
1 (15 ounce) can white beans
5 cans beef broth
1 tablespoon oregano
2 teaspoons pepper
1 tablespoon Tabasco or Red Hot
1 can or jar pasta sauce
small pasta

Saute beef and onion until browned. Add carrots, celery and tomatoes; simmer 10 minutes. Drain; rinse beans and add. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer 10 minutes or more.

3 comments:

  1. super yummy! made this today and love it! thanks Camie! Its a huge portion, so I am going to freeze half for later. What pasta sauce do you usually use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to use sauces that are low in sugar like the cans of Hunt's (you can't beat the price!) or I like Barilla. I much prefer tangy to sweet so I look closely at the labels to see that sugar is at the end of the list of ingredients.
    So glad to hear you liked it!!

    ReplyDelete