Sunday, January 16, 2011

french dip sandwiches










This recipe is so simple and yet absolutely delicious. I use this recipe to make French Dip Sandwiches or I like to thicken up the au jus to make a gravy to go with the roast for Sunday dinner and serve it alongside mashed potatoes.  I also like to use the shredded meat in chimichangas.  The possibilities are endless.  Hall of Fame!

french dip sandwiches (my friend Danielle in PA who is expecting twins any day now!)
Roast
1 (16 ounce) can beef broth
1/2 can water
1 packet dry au jus mix
1 packet dry Italian dressing (Danielle uses half the packet if it is a smaller roast and it cuts down the amount of sodium)
sub rolls
pepper jack cheese

Put the first 5 ingredients in a crock-pot. Cook on low 10 hours (less if it is just a small roast). Remove roast and shred or slice. Serve in sub rolls and place pepper jack cheese on top. Broil for a few minutes or place in a panini grill until cheese is melted. Dip in the au jus from the crock-pot.
What I have to say- I often times make two roasts at once because I like to freeze half for another night. It freezes very well.

3 comments:

  1. A+
    I don't consider myself a "french dip" kind of person, whatever that may be, but this was terrific. It was simple and with a good crusty toasted sub roll - perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to disagree with you, Heather. I've seen you in a bikini days after you birthed your second darling little baby.
    So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phahhahahahaaaaaa! I literally laughed out loud.

    ReplyDelete