Friday, January 21, 2011

the real orange julius recipe













The number of oranges my family has consumed recently got me thinking about how long it has been since I’ve had an Orange Julius so I tried to find a copy cat recipe. I remember going to the mall with my mom and every once in a while we would share an Orange Julius or a Strawberry Julius. I wasn’t ever a huge fan of sweets but they always tasted so good. I can easily remember the frothy sweetness and the plastic oranges in the store window. Delicious!

the real orange julius recipe (grouprecipes.com)
Serves 3
6 ounces fresh squeezed orange juice or any orange juice will work
6 ounces clear water
3 ounces simple syrup (recipe below)
8 ounces shaved or crushed ice
1 teaspoon of powdered milk or instant vanilla pudding
Put all ingredients in blender and serve!

simple syrup
2 parts sugar, 1 part water

Bring the water to a boil and dissolve the sugar into the boiling water. Once the sugar is dissolved completely, remove the pan from heat. Allow to cool completely and bottle.
When I used 2 cups sugar and I cup water it made exactly two cups simple syrup.

What I have to say- I’ve tried different versions and this one is the closest yet. I used the instant vanilla pudding and the flavor is right on. The consistency isn’t quite there but it’s a great tasting drink!! I had my neighbor friends over for a drink and Shannon, who remembers Orange Julius said it tasted just like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment