Thursday, January 6, 2011

grandma's sugar cookies


















This is a very special recipe. It's the sugar cookie recipe my grandma made every year at Christmas. She made them the same way every year- she used the same cookie cutters, the same colored icing and decorated them with little red hots. When Grandma passed away the first thing I thought of was that I had to have her cookie cutters. I sent Christmas cookies to my family this past Christmas and I was told they tasted just like Grandma's and my sister picked off the red hots just like she always did growing up.

grandma's sugar cookies (makes oodles)
2 cups sugar
1 cup Crisco
1/2 cup sour milk (I use 1/2 cup milk with some vinegar mixed in)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
At least 5 cups of flour, usually quite a bit more

Cream Crisco and sugar. Add eggs, well beaten. Add soda mixed with sour milk, salt, extracts and flour. Mix/knead dough until smooth. Roll out on a slightly floured surface and use cookie cutters to cut into desired shapes. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until golden. Frost and decorate!

What I have to say- these cookies are soft and delicious. This recipe is the most sought after recipe I have. The secret, I think, is the lemon extract. Add a little bit of lemon extract to the icing you plan to use whether it is homemade or store bought.




1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, this post brings some really great memories of my grandmother too! She could have lived another 20yrs and I still wouldn't have learned enough from her. Great photo and the cookie recipe is yummy! Looks like you had a fun time!!!

    ReplyDelete