Saturday, January 15, 2011

mom's english butter toffee









My mom made this toffee every Christmas and it is absolutely divine. I always looked forward to it and so did everyone who received it. Now it's my new sister-in-law's favorite so my mom makes it for her just about every time she visits.

mom’s holiday english butter toffee (my mother)
2 cups sugar
½ cup water
½ cup corn syrup
1 pound butter
1 cup almonds
1 bag chocolate chips (we always use semisweet)
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Prepare cookie sheet by buttering and scattering ¾ cup almonds.
Cook first four ingredients over medium heat stirring constantly. Heat to 290-295 degrees. Pour onto buttered cookie sheet with the almonds spread out on the cookie sheet. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the hot toffee. Once the chocolate chips have melted, spread with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle chopped pecans or walnuts on top. Once cool, break into pieces with a dull knife.

4 comments:

  1. Camie- You know I LOVE this candy! Thanks for sharing, again! I just wish mine would turn out as good as yours. I guess practice makes perfect. What brand of butter and corn syrup do you use? Curious if that makes a difference. - Laura H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a sweets eater but I found myself eating up the little bits on bottom the pan. I used Giant brand butter and Giant brand corn syrup. Give it another try!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The perfect texture Camie! It's crunchy but doesn't stick to your teeth. A delightful treat, thank you! Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. With comments like these, it's guaranteed there will be more treats headed your way! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete