Friday, December 9, 2011

russian tea cakes









Every year at Christmastime my family looked forward to the assortment of cookies my grandma would make.  Russian tea cakes, iced sugar cookies, Hello Dollies, peanut butter, date nut, oatmeal chocolate chip, "jammers", etc.  My family would enjoy her cookies all month long.  This cookie was always one of my favorites.  They just melt in your mouth.  As I was thinking about her cookies and missing her I remembered that after she passed away I asked for a few things- her recipes, her cookie cutters and her salt and pepper shakers.  I remembered that I typed up all her recipes and was so happy to look through them last night.  I'll be making several of the cookies that I remember so fondly leading up to Christmas.  Here are her famous Russian tea cakes and I have a little note that her recipe came from Betty Crocker.

russian tea cakes (my sweet grandma Betty Mae)
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
2 1/4 cups sifted flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup finely chopped nuts (optional)


Combine ingredients and form into 1-inch balls.  Bake at 400 degrees for 14-17 minutes.  While hot, roll in confectioner's sugar (you can shake them with powdered sugar in a ziplock baggie).  The recipe says it will make 5 dozen but I got about 3 dozen.


What I have to say- my grandma always made some without walnuts for my sister.

2 comments:

  1. Betty Mae ... what a perfect Grandma name :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this recipe! My great-grandmother (Nana) used to make these, too. I just made some tonight and they brought back good childhood memories. Merry Christmas to you!
    -Laura H.

    ReplyDelete