Tuesday, December 27, 2011

thai ribbons

















This is one of the very first recipes I made in college as part of my meats class.  I took this recipe home and made it for my family during Christmas break that first year and my family loved it.  I think they still make it.  My own little family loves it.  You really do have to buy the flank steak- it's very tender and you can eat it right off the skewer, which kids love.  They'll eat anything on a stick!  Serve it up with some nice jasmine rice and broccoi.

thai ribbons (meats class with Carma Sutherland)
1 pound flank steak
1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
1 tablespoon each finely chopped ginger root and vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon sesame seeds, can be toasted

Soak 30 6-inch bamboo skewers.  Combine teriyaki sauce, ginger root, oil, garlic and red pepper.  Cut steak, across grain, into 1/4-inch thick slices; place slices in a plastic bag.  Pour marinade over steak, turning to coat.  Tie bag securely and marinate 15 minutes.  Pour off marinade.  Thread each slice onto a bamboo skewer.  Place ribbons on rack in broiler pan so surface of meat is 3-4 inches from heat.  Broil 2 minutes on each side.  Sprinkle with sesame seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment