Monday, September 5, 2011

grilled sirloin with citrus salsa









Honestly I don't know where to begin so I'll just say Hall of Fame!  This dish is "restaurant good".  It's so good you won't want the meal to end.  The flavor of the marinade makes the meat incredibly juicy and tender and the citrus salsa is so sweet, tangy and fresh.  My taste buds danced the first time I tried it when my friend Annie had our family over for dinner.  They did it again this time and I'm sure they'll do it again the next time.  Hurry and try this dish.
I made this for my friend Karen who is in town from California.  We met in college on a weekend trip to Maui and became roommates.  I convinced her to move from her home town in North Carolina to California after we both graduated from college.  She moved away for law school but went back and is still there.  Of course now she's playing with the idea of moving to Portland.  How great would that be?!  My kids have fallen in love with her and I can't think of anything more fantastic than having Auntie Karen so close!  Dinner was so good the night had this that we had to pull it out and have more before bedtime.  We did the same last night after we had shrimp and grits followed by chocolate and fruit crepes my husband made and Hershey's ultimate chocolate brownies.  I love cooking for Karen because she's so enthusiastic about my cooking!  She might like to eat as much as I do.

grilled sirloin with citrus salsa (my friend Annie)
1 1/2 pounds lean boneless top sirloin
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar (I used 1 tablespoon)
3 tablespoons lime juice
1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup green onions, chopped

citrus salsa
2 oranges, peeled, seeded and chopped
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/2 teaspoon grated lime rind
1/2 lemon, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 lime, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon seeded, minced jalapeno pepper
2 tablespoons cilantro
1 tablespoon sugar

Chill salsa for at least 2 hours.  Marinade steak in marinade for at least 2 hours, preferably longer.  Grill steak.  Serve with salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment