Monday, September 26, 2011

creamy cheese grits with chiles









What could I possibly say to get you to try this recipe?  It's so delicious!  It is definitely my kind of recipe.  I think the Pioneer Woman had a girl like me in mind when she created it.  This is not your typical grits recipe.  It's super creamy and zingy and loaded with all my favorite things- cheese, more cheese, rotel tomatoes, chiles, etc.  It was so good our family about licked the pan clean and I didn't expect my kids to like it.  In fact after I tried a bite I hoped the kids wouldn't like it at all and I'd be able to eat theirs and lick their plates clean. 

creamy cheese grits with chiles (Annie found this recipe at The Pioneer Woman Cooks)
1 cup grits (quick or regular)
4 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 ounces Monterey Jack Cheese, grated
4 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes (I used light)
1/2 can Rotel tomatoes
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles (I used fire roasted)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
black pepper to taste
1 whole egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Boil water and add salt.  Add grits and stir; then reduce heat to low and cover.  Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat.
Stir in Rotel, chiles, grated cheese and cream cheese.  Stir in spices and check for seasonings.
Beat egg.  Drizzle in a couple of tablespoons of hot grits to temper, stirring constantly.  Dump it all back into the pot and stir.
Pour into a buttered baking dish and bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until hot and bubbly and golden on top.
Allow your pan to sit for fifteen minutes before serving.  Grits will firm up slightly as they sit. (We couldn't wait!)

No comments:

Post a Comment