Friday, September 30, 2011

loafing around









I think you've heard my meatloaf story before.  As a kid I hated meatloaf.  I know hate is a strong word but that's how I felt about it.  It made me gag every time and inspired me to cook.  Seriously.  Meatloaf inspired me to cook for my family.  My mom would tell me that meatloaf was for dinner and suddenly she didn't have to cook that night.  In college I took a meats class and we made Italian meatloaf.  LOVED IT.  This is a Mexican twist and I love it even more!  I really should make it more often.  The roasted red peppers make it pretty incredible.  In fact, don't go trying this dish without them.
So yesterday while cooking, I told my youngest daughter that I loved her.  I told her I love her more than rainbows.  More than the stars in the sky.  Then she asked, "More than food?"  Yes, I love her more than food and you'll be glad to know I didn't hesitate on that one.  She then told me she loves me more than flowers and more than food.  She loves me a lot! 


loafing around (featured in Rachael Ray Magazine.  Tried to find the recipe online but couldn't!)
jar of roasted red peppers (NOT sweet peppers)
couple handfuls of Mexican shredded cheese blend
1- 1/2 pounds very lean ground beef
jar of your favorite salsa
bread crumbs
parsley, about 1/3 cup
salt and pepper
2 eggs


Coat a deep pie plate with cooking spray.  Line it with roasted red peppers.  Sprinkle a handful of cheese on top.  In a bowl, mix ground beef, more cheese, most of a jar of salsa, bread crumbs, chopped parsley, a sprinkling of salt and pepper and 2 eggs.  Press into a pie plate.  Pour the remaining salsa on top and bake for 10 minutes.  Cover the pie plate with more cheese and bake until the cheese is melted, about 35 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting- my MIL called wanting this recipe and if it is online I can usually find it.

    Alana
    Wadsworth, OH
    www.awakenedkeynotemarketing.com

    ReplyDelete