Tuesday, September 20, 2011

blue cheese pear salad









I wanted a salad to go with our meal tonight but I didn't want just any green salad so we were going to go without.  Then my friend Shelli called me and asked me if I would like to have a big bowl of pears from her neighbor's pear tree.  Would I ever!  That was the beginning of a great salad to go with tonight's dinner.  I love the pairing of the pears and blue cheese.  It's a delicious combination.  I first had a pear and blue cheese salad my first year teaching kindergarten and I couldn't believe how delicious it was- it was served with a blue cheese vinaigrette.  That was the first time I realized how terrific fruit is with cheese and nuts in salads.  I think my taste had finally matured!

blue cheese pear salad (allrecipes.com)
8 cups mixed salad greens
1 cup unpeeled fresh pear slices
1 cup fresh raspberries (wish I would've had some on hand!)
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
pepper to taste

In a large salad bowl, combine the greens, pears, raspberries, blue cheese and nuts.  In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine the remaining ingredients; shake well.  Pour over salad and toss to coat.  Serve immediately.

1 comment: