Friday, July 1, 2011

shrimp and grits









I thought I would enjoy this dish but I loved it. I didn't think my kids would care for this dish but they did- all four of them. My husband enjoyed it too. The flavor is bold and terrific. Two thumbs up!! This dish reminds me of my friend Karen from North Carolina who first introduced me to grits- cheesy grits. Don't you dare replace the grits in this dish with anything else. You'll love them.

shrimp and grits (Rachael Ray Magazine, May 2011)
4 tablespoons butter (I used half that)
salt and pepper
1 cup grits
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 pounds kielbasa, thinly sliced (I used smoked turkey kielbasa)
4 ounces country ham, cut into strips
8 sea scallops
12 medium shrimp, deveined
2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/4 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1 pinch cajun seasoning

In a heavy saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon butter and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir in the grits. Lower the heat, cover and simmer, stirring frequently, until tender, about 1 hour (I used quick grits so they took about 5 minutes to cook!). Stir in the cream and 1 tablespoon butter.
Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat 1 1/2 teaspoon butter over medium-high heat. Add the kielbasa and ham and cook until golden, 3 minutes; transfer to a plate. Melt 1 1/2 teaspoons butter in the skillet, add the scallops and shrimp, turning once for 3 minutes.
Add the remaining butter to the skillet. Add the tomatoes, garlic, scallions, cajun seasoning and 1/4 cup water and cook until softened (I didn't need to add any water). Stir in the reserved seafood and meat and cook until heated through; season with slat and pepper. Serve the grits topped with the seafood-meat mixture.

9 comments:

  1. Yes she would. We'll make it for her when she comes, hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on my way!!
    --Karen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I am ever on death row, I will request this for my last meal, along with my friend Ilana's pulled pork. Absolutely THE BEST!! Camie is amazing!!!
    --Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was sooooo good! We all loved it! Thank you for sharing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How have I never seen this recipe?! It was sooooo good! John requested it become a regular part of our meal rotation. Skipped the scallops and did tons of shrimp (cause I can’t handle scallops) and did half turkey kielbasa and half andouille, cause that’s what was in my feeezer. Delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete