Tuesday, July 19, 2011

carolina-style barbecue chicken










This chicken was terrific!!!  I went into this recipe not knowing entirely what to expect and it went above and beyond my expectations.  It was a hit with the entire family.  Be sure to reserve some of the sauce as the recipe says to do for dipping.  Yum!

carolina-style barbecue chicken (adapted from Food Network Magazine, June 2011)
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (2 to 2 1/4 pounds)
vegetable oil for brushing
1 large tomato, sliced

Preheat a grill to medium.  Whisk the yellow mustard, vinegar, brown sugar, hot sauce and soy sauce in a bowl.  Whisk in the butter.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then toss with about 1/3 of the mustard sauce in a large bowl until coated.  Let sit at room temperature, 10 minutes.
Brush the grill grates generously with vegetable oil.  Put about 1/4 cup of the remaining mustard sauce in a small bowl for basting and reserve the rest for topping.  Grill the chicken covered, basting occasionally with the sauce, until well marked bnd a thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 170, 10 to 12 minutes per side.
Serve the chicken with the reserved mustard sauce, sliced tomato and mashed potatoes or potato salad, if desired.

What I have to say- the chicken took much, much longer to cook and my husband even had to put out a small fire!  We were all starving by the time we ate and had to warm up the mashed potatoes.

3 comments:

  1. hmmm, the recipe title sounds familiar. Was it modified from a rib recipe? I think I we recently made some ribs just like this, and they were outstanding (that or there was a rib recipe in the same section!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't modify this recipe from another recipe but I've noticed after a few years of flipping through magazines that there often times similar recipes all over the place. I'll have to try this sauce over ribs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had this for dinner tonight and it was great! My aunt really enjoyed this tonight. She came over for dinner since she's been without electricity since Sunday morning. She won't have it back on until Friday! I took your advice and served it with potato salad. I'll send you the recipe I used. It was good, too! - Laura H.

    ReplyDelete