Thursday, July 21, 2011

panda express orange chicken










Orange chicken is my one of my kids' favorite dishes when order get take-out which isn't very often so this was a real treat for them.  The chicken is very good without the sauce, too.

panda express orange chicken (food.com)
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken, chopped into bite sized pieces
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
white pepper
oil for frying
1/2 cup cornstarch plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon ginger root, minced
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon crushed hot red chili pepper
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
1 tablespoon rice wine (I used rice vinegar)
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil

orange sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons water
5 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons white vinegar
zest of one orange

Place chicken pieces in large bowl.
Stir in egg, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon oil and mix well.
Stir 1/2 cup constarch and flour together.  Mix flour mixture and egg mixture.  Add chicken pieces, stirring to coat.
Heat oil for deep-frying in wok or deep fryer to 375 degrees.  Add chicken, small batches at a time and fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden crisp.
Remove chicken from oil with slotted spoon andb drain on paper towels; set aside.  Add ginger ad garlic and stir-fry until fragrant, about 10 seconds.  Add and stir-fry crushed chiles and green onions.  Add rice vinegar and stir 3 seconds.  Add orange sauce and bring to boil.  Add cooked chicken, stirring until well mixed.
Stir water into remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth and add to chicken.  Heat until sauce is thickened.  Stir in sesame oil and orange zest if desired.

What I have to say-  I used about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of oil in my wok and cooked the chicken all at once.  I made sure one side was nice and golden before flipping the chicken over and getting the second side golden.  Then I stir-fryed them until they were cooked.  I used much less oil this way.

3 comments:

  1. I am totally going to have to make this! Panda Express Orange Chicken is one of Chris's FAVORITE foods in the whole world! That is one thing he has missed TERRIBLY here on the east coast and is looking forward to having it close again . . .VERY SOON :)
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a wok...can I use a deep pan with enough oil in it instead? This is my chinese takeout favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Melissa, that would definitely work!

    ReplyDelete