Saturday, July 23, 2011

spicy blueberry pie


















This recipe is delicious and comes from my cousin Emily.
P.S.  I truly dislike making pie crusts so I purchased Marie Callender's Deep Dish Pie Shells because I could not find the kind you thaw and unroll.  Instead of preparing dough for a lattice or shapes for the top of the pies as the recipe suggests, I added a crumb topping which was easy as pie and spared me a gigantic headache.

spicy blueberry pie (from the wumcha cookbook that my cousin Emily gave me years ago)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
5 cups fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 unbaked pie crusts
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon sugar

crumb topping
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1/4 cup butter 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Combine sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, allspice, blueberries, lemon juice and butter, tossing gently.  Spoon mixture into one unbaked crust.  Cut remaining crust into lattice design.  Place over filling.  Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.  Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment