Wednesday, July 27, 2011

blueberry crumb bars

When you have blueberries coming out your ears it's a good thing.  My husband loved these bars.  In fact, I think if I hadn't given half the pan away he'd have considered eating more of them.  I didn't think they were quite sweet enough on their own so I added a glaze to drizzle over the top and thought that was a must.

blueberry crumb bars (allrecipes.com)
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup shortening
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pinch ground cinnamon
4 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup white sugar
3 teaspoons cornstarch

Preheat the oven to 375.  Grease a 9x13 pan.
In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder.  Mix in salt and cinnamon, if desired.  Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the shortening and egg.  Dough will be crumbly.  Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
In another bowl, stir together the sugar and cornstarch.  Gently mix in the blueberries.  Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust.  Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
Bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown.  Cool completely before cutting into squares.

What I have to say- next time I will use butter instead of shortening.

3 comments:

  1. YES!!!! I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A RECIPE LIKE THIS!!!! Thank you truly, I read your post on banana bars with the cinnamon frosting, and it was amazing; that is the reason I started following...but I was really in search for a fruit crumb bar recipe when I stumbled across your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good! I hope when you try these you like them as much as my husband did!! I hope you can find a few more recipes here that you like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure I will :) Thank you thank you thank you!

    ReplyDelete