Wednesday, August 3, 2011

toffee square cookies

Let me introduce to you my new favorite cookie- the white chocolate toffee square cookie.  My friend Shelli brought these to the park as part of my birthday lunch last week and I didn't expect that this cookie would turn out to be possibly my most favorite cookie ever.  Who would ever believe that a girl who comes from a line of chocoholics would prefer the white and not the dark chocolate?!  I don't eat many sweets but I had a hard time resisting this cookie.  Shelli even delivered some more to us on Sunday and I've been nibbling on them a little at a time, savoring each bite.  I left a half of a cookie on the high shelf in our pantry and noticed it was gone yesterday which meant my husband found them. He agrees that this is an excellent cookie.

toffee square cookies (my friend Shelli)
1 cup margarine, shortening or butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg beaten, yolk only
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 (6 ounce) package chocolate chips (try white chocolate!!)
1 package pecans or walnuts, optional

Cream shortening and sugar and add egg and vanilla.  Sift flour and salt and stir in.  Spread 1/4" thick on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.  After baking, sprinkle chocolate chips over cookies and let melt.  Spread.  Sprinkle with nuts then cut into 1 1/2" squares.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - tried these but sprinkled 1/2 pkg. Heath butter brickle chips before adding the chocolate - heavenly

    ReplyDelete