Wednesday, August 3, 2011

spam musubi (teriyaki sauce recipe)

My friend Shelli invited my kids and me to walk a trail, feed some ducks and have a picnic lunch to celebrate my birthday.  I was spoiled because she also invited our family to dinner that night.  If you're not sure what spam musubi is Wikipidia says, " Spam Musubi is a very popular snack and lunch food in Hawaii made in the tradition of Japanese onigiri, also known as omusubi. Spam musubi is composed of a block of rice with a slice of grilled Spam on top and nori (seaweed) wrapping to hold it together."  The most popular place to find this dish in Hawaii was the local 7-Eleven store.  
This spam musubi is delicious.  Here is the teriyaki recipe Shelli used to marinade and boil the spam in before she made the musubi. 


loo's teriyaki sauce (from my friend Shelli)
1 cup shoyu (they use Aloha brand)
1 cup sugar
1/2 tablespoon sesame seed oil
1 tablespon sesame seeds, optional
1/2 teaspoon powdered garlic
1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger


Stir with a wire whisk and marinate with chicken or beef (or spam for musubi!).  For 8 or more double the recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment