Friday, August 5, 2011

no knead tomato focaccia

This recipe is magnificent- Hall of Fame.  I think I posted a focaccia recipe earlier this year and I'm going to delete it.  This bread is amazing.  First of all, it's incredibly simple to make.  Second of all, it's so good and oh so versatile.  I made a tomato focaccia then decided to make an onion focaccia.  You can add whatever you like to make it fabulous- sun dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, fresh peppers, mushrooms, etc.  Be creative and enjoy this recipe!!  I decided to make more for a brunch this morning because it was so simple and good.

no knead tomato focaccia (blog:  An A For Effort)
3 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups water
3 tablespoons light virgin oil

tomato topping
2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half and juice squeezed out
1 garlic clove finely minced
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin oil
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (I used feta)
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 to 3/4 cup smoked mozzarella, diced

The night before:
In a bowl, combine the flour, yeast and salt.
Pour in 1 1/2 cups of water, 3 tablespoons oil and mix.  Pull together the dough using your hands or a wooden spoon.  Scrape any excess flour from the bottom and sides of the bowl, making sure the ingredients are well incorporated and form into a ball.  The dough will have a stringy texture.
Place a piece of plastic wrap on the bowl to avoid the dough from drying out.  Allow to rise in a warm, dry and draft free place for at least 12 hours and up to 24 hours.

The next day:
Transfer the dough to a greased and floured 12" pizza tray.  Dust the dough lightly with flour and with your hands spread out to the edges of your pizza pan, forming a disk.  Drizzle with small amount of oil and season with salt.  Place in a draft free place to allow to rise a second time for 1-2 hours.
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees and prepare the tomato topping.  Place the topping ingredients in a bowl and stir together.  Spread the tomato topping gently on the focaccia dough.  Bake in a preheated 500 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. I think I'll have to try this and maybe I'll give up the fabulous pizza dough from Karns! We have so many vegetables right now, that this sounds perfect...Hugs, Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could come snip a few herbs from your garden! Let me know how you like the focaccia.
    Hugs right back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you liked this! I am definitely going to have to make it soon. It has been way too long since the last time!!

    ReplyDelete