Monday, August 22, 2011

peaches and cream bars










I could hardly wait to post these peaches and "dream" bars.  They are outstanding.  I served them when our friends Tom and Misty and their little girls came to visit over the weekend.  The crust is like a beautiful shortbread and the rest is just as dreamy.  (It didn't hurt that I used some of the most delicious peaches I've ever tasted.  I love Trader Joe's!) 

peaches and cream bars (blog: Taste and Tell)
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, chilled

filling
4 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup all purpose flour
pinch of slat
2 pounds peaches, pitted and sliced thin (about 5 large peaches)

Preheat the oven to 350.  Grease a 9x13 pan with cooking spray; set aside.
Combine the flour, sugar and salt until combined.  Add the butter and use a pastry cutter or knives to cut into small pieces until the mixture appears crumbly.
Take out 1 1/2 cups of the mixture and set aside.  Press the remaining mixture into the prepared pan.  Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown 12 to 15 minutes.  Let cool for at least 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar.  Add in the sour cream, flour and salt.  Fold in the sliced peaches.  Pour over the cooked crust.  Take the remaining 1 1/2 cups of the dry mixture and sprinkle over the top of the peaches.  Bake until the top is lightly browned and the filling is set, 45 to 50 minutes.  Cool at least 1 hour before cutting into bars.

What I have to say- I don't appreciate pie or desserts with fruit in them when they are served warm.  I refrigerated my peaches and cream bars until they were nice and cold. Mmmm.... 

1 comment:

  1. Oh yum! I can't wait to try this one! Peaches are my favorite fruit!

    ReplyDelete