Monday, March 21, 2011

strawberry coffee cake









 


I've always loved coffee cake. When I was in elementary school I'd go to my best friend Tammy's house and we'd each have a slice of bologna with mustard then we'd each unwrap and eat a 3-pack of Hostess coffee cakes. Those coffee cakes tasted sooo good!! We'd finish them off with a cup of milk in a plastic Tupperware cup then go outside and roller skate (1981). Those were the days.
This coffee cake is really good. A huge hit at our house. The kiddos had seconds and wanted thirds. This is dessert!

strawberry coffee cake (adapted from allrecipes.com)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries

topping
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cold butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped pecans, optional

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the egg, milk and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into a greased 8-inch square baking dish. Top with strawberries.
For topping, combine flour, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans if desired; sprinkle over strawberries.
Bake at 375 F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cut into squares; serve warm.

1 comment:

  1. I saw this recipe on the front page of allrecipes and thought it looked divine. I used the last of my strawberries this weekend, however, so I might have wait a few days until I go shopping again.

    ReplyDelete