Monday, March 14, 2011

spicy pickled onions













Onions have been Buy-One-Get-One Free for several weeks now at our local grocer which means it's the perfect time to pickle them! My friend Laura makes the best pickles. She shared her recipe with me and before I knew it I was pickling everything- pickles, banana peppers, onions and carrots. This is a terrific recipe you can use to pickle anything! These onions are delicious on sandwiches.

spicy pickled onions (my friend/neighbor Laura)
makes 2 quart jars
a bunch of onions, peeled, halved and sliced (whatever fills the jars leaving a little space at the top)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
4 tablespoons fresh dill (cut in half if using dried dill)
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
1 1/3 cups white vinegar
1/4 cup salt
2 2/3 cups water

Fill jars with onions. Mix garlic, dill, and red pepper then add equal amounts to tops of jars. In a saucepan, bring vinegar, salt and water to a boil then pour oven spices and pickles. Add lids and rings immediately then set jars aside to seal and cool. Laura can usually get all of hers to seal by tightening the lids as they cool but I process mine. I just feel a little safer that way. If there's a jar that doesn't seal for her, she puts them in the fridge to eat.

What I have to say- her pickles are crunchy and delicious. When Laura makes pickles she gives the whole cucumbers and ice bath while prepping the jars and spices so they have a little extra crunch. You will lose the crunch if you process the pickles like I did. They still tasted good but they weren't crunchy.

2 comments:

  1. If Brandon could marry a food, your pickled onions would be his second wife. Guess I should try making them, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The jar featured above is yours. Or should I say Brandon's!

    ReplyDelete