Thursday, March 3, 2011

basil chicken in coconut curry sauce










I first made this recipe when I didn't think I could go a day longer without some good Indian food. It was good! I made a double batch and froze half. This is the half I thawed and re-heated and it was delicious- even more delicious than I had remembered! This curry dish is subtle and mild yet absolutely delicious.

basil chicken in coconut curry sauce (blog: Mel's Kitchen Cafe)
Serves 4
3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 medium red onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped (by seeding the jalapeno you lose most of the spice/heat but retain great flavor
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
3 cups hot cooked rice

Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Place in medium bowl. Stir together curry, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and chili powder. Sprinkle over chicken, tossing to coat evenly. Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours.
In a large nonstick frying pan, stir onion, basil, garlic and peppers in hot oil over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, until onion is translucent. Add chicken and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook for 5-6 minute until no longer pink.
Combine coconut milk and cornstarch and whisk well to combine. Carefully add to skillet, whisking vigorously. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Stir in ginger. Cook and stir for another minute. Serve over hot rice.




4 comments:

  1. I made this last night--Delish!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe...I like reading about your days...hard to believe Grant is a toddler already!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it. I'd love to see a photo of your cuties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 6 stars! New family favorite. I used fresh basil and jalapenos from the garden. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am making a thai cucumber salad to serve with this tonight. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete