Thursday, March 17, 2011

black forest reubens









I'll never forget my first Reuben. My family stopped at a little diner on the way to Visalia to visit my uncle, aunt and cousins. My dad saw Reubens on the menu and encouraged me to order one so I did. It was so rich and delicious. This recipe is big on taste but skips the mayonnaise based dressing that usually goes on the sandwich so you can feel good and light  afterwards. You may even be tempted to have another. This sandwich is magnificent.

black forest reubens (adapted from cookbook: Rachael Ray's Book of 10)
8 slices pumpernickel bread
4 tablespoons butter, softened
3 tablespoons dill pickle relish
1 green onion finely chopped
1 tablespoon capers, chopped
4 tablespoons dijon mustard
16 deli slices Swiss cheese
3/4 pound deli-sliced corned beef
3/4 pound deli-sliced Black Forest ham
1 small jar sauerkraut

Spread one side of each bread slice with softened butter. In a small bowl, mix together the relish, green onion, capers and mustard. Build the sandwiches with buttered sides of the bread facing out: slather a liberal amount of the mustard mixture on 4 slices, then top with a slice of Swiss, one fourth of the corned beef, one fourth of the ham, a small mound of sauerkraut, another slice of cheese, and finally another slice of bread.
Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Toast the Reubens for 5 to 6 minutes on each side until the cheese melts. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve with pickles and gourmet potato chips.



What I have to say- Next time I think I'll add a little ketchup with the mustard sauce to sweeten up the sauce a little bit.

1 comment:

  1. I love love reubens! My husband will not let me make anything with sauerkraut without complaining about the smell in the house so I am forced to only eat these when we dine out. I am planning to get one this weekend! Yours sounds so yummy and I like that it is a healthier version!

    ReplyDelete