Friday, March 18, 2011

lemon coconut pixies









My kids and a couple of their friends sampled the cookies then immediately asked for more. I was looking for a light, refreshing cookie. I suppose I was looking for lemonade in cookie form. That's it- that's what they're like- tropical lemonade. The great thing about this recipe is that it gave me a chance to use up the extra coconut I had on hand.

lemon coconut pixies (cookbook: HERSHEY'S)
1/2 stick butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon peel
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
powdered sugar

Heat oven to 300 F.
Beat butter, sugar, eggs and lemon peel in large bowl until well blended. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to lemon mixture, beating until blended. Stir in coconut. Cover; refrigerate dough about 1 hour or until firm enough to handle. Shape into 1-inch balls; roll in powdered sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until edges are set. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. Store in tightly covered container in a cool, dry place. Made 2 1/2 dozen.

What I have to say- You will want to dip the cookies into the powdered sugar again after they have been baked and cooled. One more thing. This recipe reminds me of something. Erin K.- you know what it is...it's the coconut. Makes me laugh every time. I'll have to make those bunnies this year and write about it.

1 comment:

  1. I saw the word "coconut" and thought of two things.

    1. Too bad they have coconut, because no one in my family likes coconut; and
    2. I wonder if Camie remembers Rachael gagging on coconut after making a bunny cake?

    Glad to be remembered for SOMETHING. BTW - I think of M whenever we get happy meals to go...

    ReplyDelete