Monday, October 31, 2011

double baked potatoes

















My mom was the queen of double baked potatoes.  She made them all the time and I always requested them with grilled steak for my birthday dinner every year.  I'm not sure why this was the first time I thought to make them but I can't say I made them because my 9-year old daughter made them!  I simply gave her the instructions.  She knows how to season mashed potatoes to perfection.

double baked potatoes (my mom)
We don't really use a recipe because my mom never did.  Just throw some potatoes into the oven and bake them for a couple to a few hours.  Then cut each potato in half lengthwise and scoop out the centers into a large bowl.  Now make mashed potatoes.  We throw in at least a 1/4 cup of butter, some milk, sometimes a glob of sour cream, salt and pepper.  Sometimes garlic, sometimes green onion.  Make them how you like them.  You can even throw in some bacon if you're feeling a bit on the wild side.
Fill the potato skins with mashed potatoes then top with shredded cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

What I have to say- this is and excellent side when you have guests over for dinner because you can assemble these potatoes very early on and store them in the refrigerator until you're ready to bake them.  We did all the assembling before church then baked them afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment