Saturday, October 1, 2011

apple orchard pork roast

















My sister texted me and told me she made a great meal and our Dad even liked it!  You mean Dad actually ate an onion?  Fresh herbs?  Crazy.  That being said, I had to try it.  A friend and I decided we'd both try it so we had a dinner swap of sorts.  I made the pork and peanut butter rice krispy treats and she made a delicious salad (my birthday salad) and watermelon.  Dinner was fantastic.  The pork was absolutely delicious and we'll have sandwiches tomorrow.


apple orchard pork roast (my little sister)
1 boneless whole pork loin (3-4 pounds)
1 garlic clove peeled and halved
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
6 fresh sage leaves
3 fresh thyme leaves
3 fresh rosemary sprigs
3 large tart apples, cut into wedges
2 medium onions, cut into chunks
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/4 cup butter
1 2/3 cup sparkling cider, divided
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cup sour cream

Place roast in shallow roasting pan; rub with halved garlic, ,sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Top with herbs.  Arrange apples, onions and sliced garlic around roast; dot with butter.  Combine 1 cup cider and soy sauce.  Pour over top.
Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 2 hours or until the meat thermometer reads 160.  Remove roast, apples and onions to a serving platter.  Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Meanwhile, skim fat and juices from pan; transfer juices to a small sauce pan.  Add remaining cider.  Bring to a boil.  Remove from heat; whisk in sour cream until smooth.  Serve with pork.

1 comment:

  1. Since I was little I always wanted to live on an apple orchard for some reason. Since it doesn't look like that will ever happen I will settle on trying this delicious recipe!
    Also, thanks for checking in through your emails. You are always so thoughtful and I don't think I have yet even responded. We are doing just fine. A little flooding in the basement but no big deal at all! and we went out of town so that is my excuse for not getting back. Hope you and the family are doing well!

    ReplyDelete