Thursday, October 13, 2011

cinnamon chocolate caramel bars









These are magnificent.  Absolutely divine.  Perhaps the most delicious dessert I've ever made in my entire life.  They take a little work but are SO worth it.  A 1-inch square is all you need to be perfectly satisfied.  A killer dessert.

cinnamon chocolate caramel bars (I got this from a blog and I can't believe I didn't bookmark it!  My print-out says the source is Food Network and Giada De Laurentis although I couldn't find it online, sorry!)

crust
12 whole cinnamon graham crackers, crumbled
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted

caramel
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1 tablespoon water

chocolate layer
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup heavy cream

For the crust:  Position an oven rack in the middle of the oven.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line the bottom of a 9-inch pan with parchment or waxed paper.  Spray the paper and sides of the pan with cooking spray.  Combine the crushed graham crackers, sugar nad butter.  Spread the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan, pressing gently to form an even layer.  Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until the crust is golden.  Cool for 15 minutes.
For the caramel: While the crust is cooling, in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine 1/2 cup of cream, butter, sugar and water.  Stir over medium heat until the mixture is smooth.  Bring the mixture to a boil and cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer registers 240 degrees, about 5 to 7 minutes.  Carefully pour the caramel over the warm crust.  Cool for 20 minutes.  Freeze until firm, about 10 minutes.
For the chocolate layer:  Combine the chocolate chips and cream in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth, about 3 minutes.  Remove the pan from the freezer.  Pour the chocolate mixture over the caramel layer and smooth with a spatula.  Refrigerate for at least 1 hour until firm.
Allow the layers to come to room temperature, about 30 minutes.  Using a warm, slightly wet knife, carefully cut around the edges of the chocolate layer.  Release the side of the pan and remove the paper from the bottom.  Cut into 1" squares.  Store in an airtight covered container.

4 comments:

  1. I am definitely making this before next Friday, because after that, let's face it: it's all about the weight loss. I do this with every child. With Olive, right before my induction, I made Potato Cinnamon Rolls. I guess this baby's last hurrah will be Cinnamon Chocolate Carmel bars. Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. - I enjoyed your "not edible" label. I was thinking you made something you really, really didn't like, and wanted to remind yourself never make it again. Shucks. Just lip gloss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo! And I can easily make a smaller gluten free version of this for Ruby with gluten free graham cracker crumbs. But I'm making the real thing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Annie I miss you! You will not be sorry after making this dessert. It's pretty sinful and I'm pretty sure my dad will have some for breakfast this morning. I wish I had been so clever to have thought of having a "non edible" category for all the non edible meals I've made over the past decade. That's why you should have a food blog.

    ReplyDelete