Thursday, October 27, 2011

chicken jambalaya









Southern fare like this reminds me of the first part of the ride Pirates of the Caribbean when you're gently floating down the bayou with a soft breeze in the air and the faint sound of a harmonica being played (I love that ride!).  Now it reminds me of the movie The Princess and the Frog.  I've tried a lot of jambalaya dishes over the years and this is by far my favorite.  My oldest remembers me making this dish back in St. Louis which was well over 5 years ago and she was only 3 or 4.

chicken jambalaya (The Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook)
1/3 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green sweet pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1 can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup long grain rice
1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
1 bay leaf
2 precooked chicken sausage links (I use a turkey keilbasa sausage)
2 cups cubed cooked chicken


In a large skillet cook celery, onion and sweet pepper in margarine or butter until vegetables are tender but not brown.  Stir in undrained tomatoes, chicken broth, uncooked rice, thyme, garlic powder, pepper, hot pepper sauce and bay leaf.  Bring to boiling; reduce heat.  Cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until rice is tender.  Stir in chicken and sausage (I usually brown the sausage first for extra flavor); heat through.  Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment