Friday, November 4, 2011

soft buttercream icing

























My little sweetheart is turning 4 soon and her birthday party is tomorrow.  She requested strawberry cupcakes with purple icing and we're handing out star shaped sugar cookies in cellophane bags tied with purple ribbon as goody bags.  I learned this icing recipe at Ricks College when I was majoring in catering & restaurant management.  It seems like so long ago!  That's because it was.  This is a really nice basic recipe and I love it spread on top of my Grandma's sugar cookies which are always a special treat. 


soft buttercream icing (my cakes class at Ricks College)
5 1/2 cups unsifted powdered sugar
3/4 cup shortening
1 egg white (you can omit)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
1/2 teaspoon lemon flavoring
1/4 teaspoon rum flavoring
pinch of salt
5-6 tablespoons water or milk or more until you get the right consistency


Mix all ingredients together on medium speed until light and fluffy for 3-4 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment