Friday, November 25, 2011

dutch apple pie









Undoubtedly and undeniably Hall of Fame!  My friend Shelli gave me two huge boxes of freshly picked apples from her dad's tree in California so I was inspired make another pie for Thanksgiving.  The trouble was, I hate making pie crust.  Hate is a strong word but really, that's how I feel about it.  I just can't get it right.  I found this recipe and knew I had it made in the shade.  The crust is so easy and it's THE best pie crust I have ever tasted.  Auntie Karen is here with us for Thanksgiving and she said this is by far the best apple pie she has ever had.  My husband said I need to enter it in the next county fair because I'll win for sure.  You've really got to try this pie.  Next year I will make my pumpkin pies this same way!!

dutch apple pie (allrecipes.com)
2 cups flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats

filling
2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/4 cups water
3 cups peeled, diced tart apples
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine the first four ingredients; set aside 1 cup for topping.  Press remaining crumb mixture into an ungreased 9-inch pie plate; set aside.
For the filling, combine sugar, cornstarch and water in a saucepan until smooth; bring to a boil.  Cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.  Remove from the heat; stir in apples and vanilla.  Pour into crust; top with reserved crumb mixture.  Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. The BEST apple pie I have ever had the pleasure of eating in my life! Bar none! Well done, Cam!
    --Karen

    ReplyDelete